Students Fostering a Love for Reading:

Here are a few of the great things I’ve seen in my classroom so far; students sharing and talking with other students about the books they are reading, a genuine excitement to tell me about their books, and students who never liked to read before devouring books and loving it!

During the first 9 weeks, I decided to incorporate an individual reading book project that would create an opportunity for students to share with their peers what they have been reading, publish their work outside of the classroom, and showcase their own talents and skills when designing their presentations and products. Some students created annotated soundtracks for their novels, shared Spotify playlists with their friends, and designed album artwork using Canva to compliment the themes or events in their novels. Some students started blogs or participated in blogs already created over the discussion of their chosen novels. Many students created character portraits and they researched different mediums that would best illustrate the style and personalities of their chosen characters. A few students decided to write letters to the author’s and are excitedly waiting for a possible reply. Students also had the opportunity to design their own projects to fit the needs of their chosen text. Photo stories, pamphlets to advocate, videos, recited monologs, and so much more. Every student embraced this opportunity and really impressed me with the level of work and creativity they put into it.

Some students created annotated soundtracks for their novels, shared Spotify playlists with their friends, and designed album artwork to compliment the themes or events in their novels.

I am seeing their excitement for reading extend into their writing as well. The workshop method has created so many opportunities for my students to collect new vocabulary and experiment with styles used by the author’s we are reading. My students are also adding experiences and perspectives to their own writing arsenal that they might never have considered before.

One thought on “Students Fostering a Love for Reading:

1. This is powerful. Choice in reading and choice in self-assessment? Fostering the reading lives’ of your students opens many doors. The improvement you see in their writing is just the tip of the iceberg. There are so many benefits from reading – Kylene Beers outlines a few in her newest book (Disrupting Thinking: Why How We Read Matters).